The Absurd and Amazing Adventures of Cafe Girl: I'm Not Sure

September 4, 2009

I'm Not Sure

I was at the grocery store and found this:



It's Shiraz in a disposable container. You read that correctly. Wine. In a container like you would get with soy milk. It has a plastic spout and everything.



The packaging says that this container is made out of 70% paper and that this packaging has a smaller carbon footprint than a plastic or glass bottle. Alice White Wines also proclaims that there's less waste in a 500 ml package of wine -- no need to open a whole bottle. They are also quick to point out that this wine in a disposable container can be enjoyed "anywhere, anytime."

Should I be excited? I no longer have to hesitate about opening a whole bottle of wine when all I want is a couple of glasses. I can't even begin to count how many half bottles of wine I've had to throw out because they've turned rancid. Apparently with Alice White's smaller portions and re-sealable plastic twist-off cap, I can drink what I want.

Or should I be afraid? I'm not sure if I should be enjoying wine "anywhere" and I certainly should not be drinking wine, "anytime." It's far too easy to go to the store after a long, hard day and buy small portions of wine that I could possibly drink in one sitting.

A scarier thought? The young man who rang me up didn't even ask I.D. and no way do I look above thirty-five (or so I would like to believe).

I'm fascinated by this product and its packaging. I don't know if it is terribly yuppie to buy wine in handy, earth-friendly packaging. Or if it's terribly pedestrian to be drinking wine out of what is essentially a fancy paper cup.

This is also the first time I've seen wine in packaging that could be mistaken for something far less toxic, like chicken broth, or organic soy milk.

Is this an LA thing? Anyone else out there finding wine in a handy packages like this?

No comments: